Monday 25 February 2013

A few reflections on a wedding I attended.



On Saturday my cousin Pablo wedded his fiancée in a colorful church event that attracted relations from both sides of the family. These reflections are worth sharing. I just think so.

1.      Women and weddings are inseparable. And they attach so much to weddings you would think it’s a free ticket to heaven. Women thronged the church. I don’t know whether using ladies would be appropriate but the bottom line is: they constituted the majority. They turned up in their stilettos complimented with short skirts and make up. They whispered at times or engaged in small talk while zooming their eyes around.

2.      Hunger. Eat well in the morning before boarding the next bus taking people to the wedding venue. House of God turned to a house of hunger as the congregation started walking out in silent protest. Not a nap or a newspaper would cast away the hunger. We were practically being starved.


3.      Eating time. If you are a family member you eat last. It also means you may miss ‘pilau na soda’ and raise no complains. After that hunger session in church then you miss food, tell me, frankly, how do you feel? Gate-crushers constituted a quarter of the guests and served first much to the chagrin of folk from ushago (Village).

4.      Talking of gate-crushers, I thought this habit died with KANU plunder in 2002. Growing up in Central province, we looked forward to Saturdays to be served  free meals from weddings. Even at my cousin’s wedding, kids my age during those years stole the show and ate more than invited guests. True.


5.      Oh, I forget. What an ugly jealousy that crept on the faces of ladies during ‘I do moment.’ I watched the ladies around keenly and that monster chocked hard on them. Their powdered faces twitched with ‘I wish it never happened.’ Or, ‘I wish it was me.’

P.S: Interestingly, I remained ‘strangled’ in my suit for the rest of the day. 

       Startlingly unforeseen, death also stole an Uncle away in Kisumu.

No comments:

Post a Comment